Monday, October 5, 2009

Trial and Error

Hypnosis doesn’t always work out the way you plan. Sometimes someone just isn’t going under, even when you’re use standard methods that you’ve used dozens or hundreds of times before.

Some people blame this on the potential subject who ‘just isn’t hypnotizable.’ That’s a weak excuse.

When you hear the oft-quoted fact that “x% of the population can’t be hypnotized” what it’s really saying is, if you use the exact same induction methods with however many people, a certain number just won’t go under. Well Duh.

Hypnosis is something that often has to be tailored to the individual to be successful. I say often because in most cases, there is a standard response you’ll see from most people for a given suggestion; it’s just a matter of how big the response is and how long it takes. The people that claim that each session must be individually tailored sometimes seem sanctimonious, but if you want the best results in the shortest time, they’re right.

That leads to the biggest challenge I have with iHypnoU.com: trying to come up with a set of suggestions that works well enough with everyone to achieve the session’s goals. How do I do it? I use the fact that there are standard responses to the suggestions I’m giving, and structure my entire recording around encouraging them, using their appearance to build expectations.

2 comments:

Parkey said...

Do you think that the reason why some people don't respond is purely out of reluctance or fear, or is it simply that some people just don't go deep into hypnosis because they simply don't know how.

I have my own ideas, but I'd like to hear yours.

Cheers,
Parkey

iHypnoU said...

I don't think it's only reluctance or fear, but I wouldn't say it's a lack of knowledge of how to relax and let go...I'd say that when it's not fear, it's that there's something else getting in the way, such as analyzing what's happening too intensely.